Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Why does the world still hate girls?

Over the last four years I've spent my free time working with and researching girls (and women) and confidence.  I get a thrill each time I learn something new, create another exercise for my Confidence is Key workshops or learn about another organization or group that is doing something positive in this space - for me, it's a total high. There's definitely positive change in our world for girls and women but for every success I come across, I see something else in our social dichotomy that hasn't changed at all, sometimes things have even gone worse.  


You may be asking yourself, where is she going with all this? 
 Recently I gave birth to a baby girl.  For your info, I'm that gal that never ever had baby fever; I thoroughly enjoyed my happy hours with friends, planning vacations freely without a care in the world, and shopping with no guilt or concern. But now I am a mom. It's the scariest, most amazing, weirdest thing ever! What scares me the most is the world's attitude about girls and what my daughter may experience.

On a couple of occasions during my pregnancy I've heard "interesting" comments on my baby's gender. My innocent, unborn baby was already hated. One person literally told me "it better be a boy because I hate girls!" I'm serious this was the exact quote. My heart was crushed and fury raised up inside me. And it was a woman who said it! Her rationale -- "you have to watch girls more and worry more about them."  Wow! Talk about a reverse world.  So you hate girls because you have to watch them because of what boys might do?  This makes no sense to me.  

Another time, while walking to church in Park Slope, Brooklyn, a man standing outside a store checking out women and cat calling them saw me and said "oh another one that is beautiful," I guess trying to entice me with his smooth talking (enter sarcasm here).  He then realized I was sporting my new round belly and said "Oh, congratulations! You're glowing. That has to be a boy." Countless people told me this every day; I was glowing, I was still beautiful - so I had to be having a boy because girls take away all your beauty. 

Ouch.  

When I delivered my baby our family and friends came to visit us at the hospital.  One visitor said if it were a boy he would have loved to help us out and baby sit while we were at work, but because it was a girl he wouldn't do it, "you understand, right?" he said looking at us as if disappointed in our child's gender. No, I'm not sure I do understand.  Is it  possible temptation, your own fears, or lack of interest in what you consider "girl activities"? What is the reason? 

All around me I see messages that show girls they are hated. I wonder if us gals even spot them anymore or if we're just used to it. Not too long ago while riding the N train into Manhattan, I spotted an advertisement overhead on the subway cart for breast augmentation. Now, in itself, a boob job is the woman's choice.  If you want one go for it.  I simply challenge women to think about what is driving that desire. It is simple- dissect your desire and determine for yourself if you have been taught to want it or if the desire is truly yours. Then move forward with what's right for you. No judgements. The ad I saw however pissed me off! It featured a girl with a sad face with small fruits (aka "her boobs") and the same girl with a happy face with large fruits. Look at the ad at the top of this post and tell me what thoughts come to mind. At least some folks have started a discussion around this ad (join in here and here).  

Girls and confidence is a passionate subject for me, and now that I am a mom to a little girl its even more so.  Why does the world still hate girls?  Why are we told what is beautiful or not beautiful about ourselves?   Why are we hated because of what others may be tempted to do?

Does any of this outrage you?  Tell me why or why not.  I'd love to hear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment